Friday, August 28, 2009

Missed it by That Much

Recently, I finished these for my youngest brother.

 
Sam by Cookie A., Tanis Fiber Arts fingering weight in the Shadow colourway.

I put a lot of thought into this project, both about my brother and the socks themselves.  The yarn is by an indie dyer from Montreal, where he just finished his music degree.  The cables, to me, invoke the mountain peaks and icy waves that he would have seen out his window every day as he played jazz on a cruise ship doing the Vancouver-Alaska run.  LoML made me sock blockers in the larger size so that I could block them for his ski feet. (Okay, in fairness he doesn't have ski feet, but when the love of your life wears a 7 1/2 and he's the one you knit socks for, an 11 is ski feet).

They were made with love, and a lot of thought.  They were perfect.
Except for one teensy detail.

They don't fit.  Not too short, but too small all over, so it's back to the drawing board.

I've already found a pattern equally suited to his current gig on a cruise ship doing the Mediteranean route.  I'm pretty sure what yarn I'm going to use, just waiting on his colour preference.  And this time?  They'll be ribbed.

I'm so lucky that he thinks that it's the thought that counts, because the thought - and the love - was big enough. If only the socks had been. (Sorry Bud, I still love you and your ski-feet.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no! The socks are beautiful! Will you rip out and re-knit, or start over? What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gifting these to the smaller-footed, starting over. (As in ALLLL the way over, new yarn, new pattern, new gauge...)

    ReplyDelete